December 7, 2021
The Soufan Center Webinar: “Promise and Peril in Afghanistan? Taliban, IS-K, and the Human Security Dimension”
December 7, 2021 | 11:00 am – 12:30 pm ET
On December 7, 2021, The Soufan Center hosted a webinar entitled, “Promise and Peril in Afghanistan? Taliban, IS-K, and the Human Security Dimension.” The webinar examined the complex security dynamics in Afghanistan which have been further exacerbated by the Islamic State Khorasan (IS-K), complications in the delivery of humanitarian assistance, and an intransigent Taliban whose actions threaten to compromise what gains were made on human rights and gender equality over the past two decades. Expectations of further insecurity and instability as IS-K and the Taliban vie for legitimacy and control of the narratives of governance make for ominous predictions for Afghanistan. Regional dynamics will be key, and lessons learned from international action suggests that networks of practitioners and civil society organizations may be important fora for mitigating crises.
Through a moderated interactive session, panelists explored the human rights and security impacts for Afghanistan, regional, and international partners. With the prospect of several states recognizing the Taliban regime, panelists assessed, what are the key challenges and opportunities now in Afghanistan? This webinar built on extensive analyses in Soufan Center reports, IntelBriefs, and the media to present this virtual discussion, bringing together researchers, analysts, and practitioners for a unique and timely discussion.
- Ms. Wazhma Frogh, Founder, Women and Peace Studies Organization (WPSO)
- Ms. Elizabeth Joyce, Chief of Section for Asia Pacific and the Americas, United Nations Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED)
- Mr. Ioannis Koskinas, Senior Fellow, International Security Program, New America; and CEO, The Hoplite Group
- Dr. Colin P. Clarke, Senior Research Fellow, The Soufan Center
- Ms. Naureen Chowdhury Fink, Executive Director, The Soufan Center [moderator]